Friday, December 12, 2008

I'm Paying Your Salary

12 December 2008

I'm writing from my hotel room at the Holiday Inn near Heathrow. My flight for Denver is scheduled depart at 12.35 PM, but I figured I'd drop a short entry since I really don't want to walk up to the front desk and formally check-out. Why? I think it's, first, because that really is when it'll start sinking in that this semester is over, that I only have one more in England, only three more till I enter the real world of tax returns, mortgages, utility bills, and all those delightful things that my parents have been too happy to handle for the initial twenty-one years of my existence.

Second, the hotel staff here is mean. Last night I had to go to the front desk to get a replacement key because, having forgot that my money-clip contains a magnet, I had placed the keycard to my room there, which of course de-magnetised it. And throughout the entire transaction, the lady behind the front desk just had this disgusted look on her face as if her life suddenly sucked because a traveling university student had accidentally de-magnetised his keycard. No "Thank you." No "That's all right." No smiling. Nothing. Having worked in Target over the summer, I'm not a fan of the kind of facile courtesy and manufactured friendliness that most establishments consider to be the soul of customer service, but come on! I'm paying your salary.

Anyway, I need to check-out, get to the airport, go through security, find my gate--all the activities I particularly enjoy. Throw in a meal and a couple of bowel movements, and you pretty much have a synopsis of my day. I hope everyone is doing well, and I'll talk to you later.

1 comment:

Shannyn said...

Chad, next time leave the synopsis to our imaginations.